Featured post

Welcome!

Welcome to my new book review blog, I am going to try and post reviews as quickly as I possibly can. By day I keep myself busy ...

Monday 10 December 2018

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen


♥♥♥♥

Adopted into the household of her uncle, Sir Thomas Bertram, Fanny Price grows up a meek outsider among her cousins in the unaccustomed elegance of Mansfield Park. Soon after Sir Thomas absents himself on estate business in Antigua (the family's investment in slavery and sugar is considered in the Introduction in a new, post-colonial light), Mary Crawford and her brother Henry arrive at Mansfield, bringing with them London glamour, and the seductive taste for flirtation and theatre that precipitates a crisis.

As with all Austen books, you will probably find it hard to not compare it to Pride and Prejudice, this was a let down for me as I was expecting so much. It was a struggle to connect with the characters, and this only happened when I was about halfway through the book. Unlike Pride and Prejudice, the love interest felt forced to me. 

While most of the characters only pursue wealth and status, up to a point where it was quite comical, Fanny Price was a breath of fresh air, she was a little indifferent regarding this, and this actually captured the difference between her and the other characters. 

There were parts where it did drag a little, but it could have been that my heart was just not into the book at the time. I will, of course, re-visit this book in years to come and who knows, by that time it will ring a different tune to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment