Featured post

Welcome!

Welcome to my new book review blog, I am going to try and post reviews as quickly as I possibly can. By day I keep myself busy ...

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Without Merit - Colleen Hoover


♥♥♥

There is no doubt about it, Colleen Hoover is one of my favourite authors. She is a brilliant writer and can get a message across in a way that most authors can’t. This book’s cover had me hooked from the reveal, I knew I had to get a copy ASAP and then once I did for some reason I put off reading it.

The book centres around the Voss family, they are definitely not your average American family. The once cancer-stricken mother lives in the basement, the father married to the mother’s former nurse, the little half-brother isn’t allowed to do or eat anything fun, and the eldest siblings are irritatingly perfect. Then, there’s Merit.

Merit Voss collects trophies she hasn’t earned and secrets her family forces her to keep.

It was definitely a page-turner, with all the secrets that were revealed and then, of course, Merit’s own revelation. This wasn’t your average Colleen Hoover book that revolved around the romantic relationship aspect, but more about the family dynamic and how families work through their own issues.

The characters where interesting, each one getting their moment to shine, my only complaint would be that the book ended so abruptly with a lot of the story not being done (if this is the first book in the series, I will change this part of the review). I would really like to know how the story ends for them.

Other than that, it was an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment