Featured post

Welcome!

Welcome to my new book review blog, I am going to try and post reviews as quickly as I possibly can. By day I keep myself busy ...

Friday 25 May 2018

84, Charing Cross Road – Helene Hanff


♥♥♥♥

Those who know me well, know that I love letters, and was introduced to the magic that is books published telling stories through letters. 

This charming classic love story, first published in 1970, brings together twenty years of correspondence between Helene Hanff, at the time, a freelance writer living in New York City, and a used-book dealer in London at 84, Charing Cross Road. Through the years, though never meeting and separated both geographically and culturally, they share a winsome, sentimental friendship based on their common love for books. Their relationship, captured so acutely in these letters, is one that has touched the hearts of thousands of readers around the world

This does not disappoint, you get to know the people through their correspondence with each other. It started off as a woman, Helene Hanff, buying books from a bookshop in London, gradually you get to know all the people who work in the shop and she tells more about her life as a writer in New York.

This is a great compilation of letters and I’m glad I also got the audiobook. That was narrated by Juliet Stevenson and John Nettles.
The two narrators brought a different dimension to these letters, they blew life back into them 

No comments:

Post a Comment